Last Updated on March 21, 2022 by the staff of TheAllElectricLawn
Are you in the market for a new string trimmer? Have you gotten tired of the hard to start small gas engines on your existing string trimmer? If so you might want to take a look at the best battery powered string trimmer of 2022.
We hope you love the products we recommend! If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission
|Model Image||Model Name||Description||Buying Options|
|RYOBI 40 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Brushless Attachment Capable String Trimmer||Powerful 40V string trimmer with multiple cutting widths and can accept quick attach implements.||Get It Now|
|EGO Power+ ST1623T 16-Inch 56V Cordless POWERLOAD with LINE IQ||Very capable 56V powered string trimmer with the power to handle the toughest of weeds||Get It Now|
|40V max XGT Brushless Cordless 15 in. String Trimmer||Brushless 40V battery powered variable speed string trimmer.||Get It Now|
|DEWALT DCST972X1 String Trimmer||Unique collapsible portable string trimmer powered by the 20V MAX line of batteries||Get It Now|
|CRAFTSMAN V60 String Trimmer and Edger||60V powered string trimmer with ability to quickly switch from a string trimmer to edger||Get It Now|
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Battery Powered String Trimmer for 2022
- 2 Why choose a battery powered string trimmer?
- 3 Gas vs Electric String Trimmers
- 4 Which battery powered string trimmer to choose?
Best Battery Powered String Trimmer for 2022
Wel took a look at several different string trimmers to see which was the overall value without sacrificing performance. Below in no particular order are five of the best battery powered string trimmers available in 2021.
RYOBI makes a larger assortment of electric lawn and outdoor power equipment, and I own quite a few of their products. This 40 volt straight shaft string trimmer has all the power of a gas model, with none of the gas powered headaches. The trimmer has an impressive 13 in. to 15 in. cutting width, and has a bump feed head for getting more trimmer string when you need it. The biggest advantage this trimmer has over the other in this list is the expand-it attachments with making this not just trimmer, but a blower, pole saw, hedge trimmer, and many other tools. This is also one of the more affordable options that have excellent power.
- Gas like power
- Attachment capable: accepts RYOBI expand-it attachments and other universal gas attachments to save time, money, and space
- Premium 0.095 in. twisted dual line
- Reel-easy bump-feed string head for fast and easy reloading
- Variable speed trigger for cutting control
- 13 in. to 15 in. adjustable cutting width
What We Liked
- Attachment capability – being able to add attachments to this trimmer is a great bonus
- Bump feed head with fast reloading – the ability to easily reload trimmer line is a must-have
- Carbon fiber shaft helps reduce weight and improve durability
- Being a member of the Ryobi 40v lithium-ion battery powered line of tools – being able to use the same battery for many different tools is a game-changer
What We Disliked
- A little heavy with the larger 4ah or 5ah 40V batteries
- The handle could be designed a little better, seems like this might a weak point in an otherwise pretty remarkable tool.
EGO makes some great battery powered tools and the 15in 56-volt string trimmer is no exception. The trimmer has massive power with its 56 volt battery and impressive runtime that easily matches the power of gas powered weed eaters. The trimmer also has a larger diameter trimmer line that makes it more durable and can handle larger weeds and grass. It also has a cool line reloading feature where you press a button at the bottom of the head and it automatically spools the trimmer line.
- Rapid reload head to quickly and easily load cutting line
- 16 in. cutting swath
- Dual-feed spiral-twist 0.095 in. line
- Hi-efficiency brushless motor
- Variable speed control
- Weather-resistant construction
- Telescoping carbon fiber shaft
- 4.0 Ah ARC lithium battery powers all EGO Power+ products
What We Liked
- Power, Power, and more Power. Like all the EGO line of 56V tools, this thing has a powerful battery to get the job done and provide maximum power.
- Thick .095 line, this is the same size line you will see on many gas trimmers and can clear the toughest weeds and dense grass with ease
- The Line IQ feature is pretty slick, no more bumping of the trimmer head to get line to feed.
What We Disliked
- Weight, with a larger battery you have extra weight to haul around which will tire you out after a long trimming session
- The included 4.0 Ah battery tends to run down quickly, with more power comes less battery life unfortunately
Makita is a long-time favorite of professional builders and contractors. This shows the quality of the 40v straight shaft trimmer. This trimmer comes with a powerful brushless motor, which has three separate speeds to get the job done fast. The trimmer has a reverse rotation function which will help you get untangled if your trimmer string gets caught up in some extra tough weeds.
- Makita-built outer rotor BL Brushless motor direct-drive system provides high power and increased torque
- Variable speed trigger for power control
- 3-Speed options
- Equipped with bump and feed trimmer head loaded with 0. 080″ Twisted quiet Line
- The reverse rotation function allows the operator to quickly clear the trimmer head of entangled grass and weeds
What We Liked
- Multi-tool battery, the battery can be used with all 40v powered tools
- Having multiple speeds is unique with the Makita trimmer. Being able to control power output for less intensive trimming (like around delicate landscaping) is a great to have feature.
- The reverse feature is awesome, if you are like me when I have been trimming I have gotten tangled in taller woody weeds and had to manually unwind them from a trimmer head. Being able to reverse out of entanglement is very helpful
What We Disliked
- This is a higher-end trimmer with lots of features and it is a relatively expensive model
- Thinner .080 trimmer line will limit trimming of tall weeds
DeWalt is long time manufacturer of quality power tools used in the construction industry. The 60 Volt Max has a large 15 – 17 in cutting width and has a variable high/low speed which will help you power through trimming jobs in your yard. One great plus is that the batteries for the trimmer will work in all 60V battery Max tools.
- 15 -17 in. Cutting Swath
- Collapsible Design
- 0.080 in. Line
- Gear drive transmission design that powers through the overgrowth
- Variable trigger with high/low speed control
- Lightweight, ergonomic and balanced design
- Part of the 60V MAX system of tools
What We Liked
- 60 Volt lithium-ion battery works in all other DeWalt 60v max tools. There are literally a ton of DeWalt tools that use this same battery. Extra built-in value if you buy this trimmer
- Universal attachment capability and quick load spool are bonuses
- High and low speeds help you apply the type of power you need for delicate or tougher trimming
What We Disliked
- A running thread in this post but the .080 line is on the smaller side and will limit your heavy duty trimming
- Hard to find DeWalt branded attachments for the string trimmer.
- 60V batteries can add some extra weight that smaller 40V models don’t have
Craftsman has been known to make quality power tools for many years and the V60 string trimmer is no exception to that rule. The trimmer has a powerful brushless motor , variable speed control, and an ergonomic handle for easier control. This trimmer is also light weight helping you get through those longer trimming sessions.
- 15-Inch Cutting swath
- 0.080″ Line
- Patented gear drive design that powers through the over grown grass.
- Variable trigger with Hi/lo speed control
- High-efficiency Brushless motor
- Lightweight and ergonomic design
- Includes battery and charger
What We Liked
- The V60 battery can be used in other Craftsman V60 lines of outdoor and garden tools
- Quick wind spool allows you to replace line easily with less stopping.
- Lightweight makes it easier to carry around and move from trimming task to trimming task.
What We Disliked
- The battery doesn’t last long on high speed settings. But if you have to trim from longer than 20 minutes you might want to look at some of the higher battery capacity models
- The Auto feed feature seems to waste a lot of trimmer line when it works.
Why choose a battery powered string trimmer?
There are a few reasons why you might want to choose a battery powered string trimmer or a battery powered weed eater over a gas string trimmer or weed eater.
- starts easily and every time
- lighter weight
- no mixing of fuel
- no fuel storage
- much quieter than gas trimmers
I personally switched to all electric outdoor equipment recently and I am not looking back.
Gas vs Electric String Trimmers
So what are the major differences between gas and electric trimmers then? I would say the major difference is convenience. Electric string trimmers are much easier to deal with. I am sure if you have used a gas powered string trimmer in the last decade, you have had to deal with mixing fuel.
Mixing the Gas
With an electric trimmer, there is no gas or oil or anything like that to deal with, so all you really have to do is make sure your battery is charged. Did I mention how convenient battery powered outdoor tools can be?
Not that mixing gas takes an aerospace engineering degree, but it is a pain. This usually reared its head when I had to go to the local home center and buy those small bottles of oil to mix up the gas. I never seemed to have one when I needed it. Even when I got it mixed there was no guarantee it would start.
Why won’t this thing start?
So electric string trimmers always start, because all you have to do is put a battery in or plug it into the wall and pull the throttle trigger.
Gas trimmers can be extremely hard to start. If your fuel has been sitting too long, or you forgot to add an Ethanol additive to your fuel, then starting the trimmer can be a real pain. Anyone ever broke a recoil starter? I have.
Gas Trimmers are so Loud
So now you have the trimmer started, but it sounds like a go cart running at top speed. No trimming for you early in the morning when the temps are nice an cool. The neighbors won’t like that. Also, don’t forget about that exhaust smell.
Electric trimmers, for the most part, are quieter, I won’t say quiet. You have the whirling noise of the string as it spins, but you don’t have the high pitched whine of the motor.
Gas Trimmers are Heavy
You’re trimming away at your landscaped beds or sidewalks, and you start to feel your arms getting tired, and you’re only halfway through trimming. My old gas trimmer weighed a ton, not literally, but it was heavy. I had to eventually give in and use a shoulder strap to offset the engine weight.
My electric trimmer, on the other hand, is not heavy. I do have a motor and battery to contend with, but compared to my old gas trimmer, this thing is light. The great thing is I didn’t experience a loss of power when switching to a battery powered trimmer, you can’t beat lightweight and powerful. I can easily cut the same amount of weeds, tall grass, and over grown grass on a single charge. Having an extra battery on hand just extends the runtime.
So hopefully I have at least convinced you to consider a battery powered string trimmer as your next trimmer choice.
Which battery powered string trimmer to choose?
Well, actually you can’t go wrong with any of these models. They can all handle your day to day trimming tasks with ease. I actually own the RYOBI 40 Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Attachment Capable String Trimmer and I love it. I wouldn’t go back to using my gas powered trimmer. I am able to trim up around my house on a single battery and have never run out of battery power to finish the job.
Battery powered trimmers, in my opinion, are really the best choice when you need to get a new string trimmer, you get a powerful, quiet, nearly maintenance-free tool, at an affordable price, that starts every time. Any of the trimmers listed above would be a great choice for the best battery powered string trimmer of 2021. Get out there and clean up those edges.
Battery Powered String Trimmer Manufacturers Mentioned in this Post